Saturday 2 February 2013

Keita offers to pay players

Seydou Keita
Mali captain Seydou Keita says he will pay the players if they beat South Africa to reach the semi-finals of the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations.
The west African country is involved in a military coup and just recently the city of Timbuktu was freed from rebel occupancy, with the Eagles players having spoken about this conflict while dedicating their performances to their countrymen.
However, with Patrice Carteron’s side making it to the quarter-finals, attentions were vaguely turned to money matters which Keita quickly squashed.
“There might still be some disagreement over the bonuses for the semi-finals, but we said we will work it out,” said the 33-year-old midfielder.
“I, myself, actually told the (sports) minister that if we made it to the semi-finals and that there was still a disagreement over the bonuses, I could myself contribute to these bonuses.”
He added: “You cannot imagine how moved and happy I am to be here today and be able to play a match that will bring joy to my country. This is priceless. Money doesn’t matter in such moments.
“I’m not interested in medals for myself, I want one thing now and that is to give pleasure to my country. I take pleasure in running on the field with my young team mates and in the Mali colours,” the 33-year-old former Barcelona midfielder said.
“The country is facing difficult times but I think our qualifying for the quarter-finals will bring a lot of joy to the people.”
He has made a reference to the conflict after each of Mali’s three games at the tournament to date, even wearing a T-shirt with the slogan ‘Peace in our Country’ after their opening match in Port Elizabeth last week.
“Our country is going through one of the most difficult times in its history,” he added.
“But the government is trying to regain all its territory and people are starting to look up. I get goosebumps when speaking of Mali. There is nothing to compare with the giving of joy to a country that suffers.”
Mali started with victory against Niger, lost to AFCON favourites Ghana and then drew with DR Congo to take second place in Group B.
Now they will face a buoyant Bafana Bafana on Saturday at the Moses Mabhida Stadium where the incredible support has lifted the hosts and given them hope of going all the way to the final.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...