Tuesday 21 May 2013

Business Tips and Strategy

Start small, and be realistic

People with no Internet experience often contact me to tell me about their grand ideas for major new websites. They have no idea of the economics of the Internet, or what to expect from a new Internet business. Most of these grand ideas require large, custom-built sites, that would have to be built by a professional, and cost a five-figure amount of money.

I've found that many people with website business ideas also have some funny ideas about getting out of paying for anything, through some kind of favourable "partnership" scheme. I've received many proposals over the years from people telling me "you create my fantastic website idea for me for free, and when I'm a hit, I'll give you 10% of the profits."

If you believe you have a great idea, you need to earn and risk your own money, and reap your own success or failure.

To try something big like this, and succeed, you need serious Internet business experience, or serious real-life business experience in the field the website deals with. Leaping into a large-scale Internet venture, from nowhere, is a sure-fire recipe for failure.

You can make it big online – I've seen people do it – but you need to start small, and learn the ropes. If your site turns into a big, successful site, it will have started out as a small, simple one. If it doesn't work as a small idea, don't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...