Monday 25 March 2013

SOLILOQUY: Congratulating Annie and 2face, getting inspiration from Nigerian SMEs and wishing Achebe safe journey


Soliloquy by Ayeni the Great

I’ve known Annie Macaulay for what seems like forever, and I’ve known 2face Idibia even longer. In fact, it was during an interview with Idibia, in 2004, that I first heard of Annie when he called her ‘my girl’ and went on to speak very fondly about her and her planned TV show ‘Unwinding with Annie.’
I’ve been a friend with both for years now and I know, to some extent, the trials and troubles their relationship has been through. I’ve seen their relationship defined and redefined over the years, by circumstances no one could have predicted. I’ve seen them break up and make up.
I listened to Annie’s frustrations over and over again. I understood Idibia’s trials and challenges, and the role drama, fame, time, interests and people played in the demystification and destruction of what was, as everyone agreed, a beautiful relationship.
We all know the story: the babies from here and there, the on-off dating, the many women who came after Idibia (and those that got him!), the men who served as a distraction for Annie, and how we were all (almost) certain these two were done for good.
Until February 14, 2012, when Idibia, a difficult-to-predict, difficult-to-understand, yet the simplest and humblest of souls, pulled a fast one on all of us, proposing to Annie and ending the conversation about which ‘baby mama’ he would marry, or whether he would even marry at all.
From that February 14 stunt, up to the final wedding event in Dubai this past weekend, what the Idibias have done is write us a new love story; a superlative tale of love and romance, of unquenchable love and desire; a modern day love story, and a fresh perspective of the power of possibilities.
We all believe in love, whether we know or admit it or not – for, what is life without love? The Idibias have given us one more reason to be able to say that love is true, love is real. One more reason to be able to beat our chests and say, no matter the mistakes, no matter the blunders, no matter the distractions, no matter the trials and tribulations, what’s meant to be, will eventually be.
I’ve been married for about 8 years now, so I can tell them that there are even more hurdles on the way. Plenty of ditches and pot holes. But if they’ve survived the past 13 topsy-turvy years, I have no doubts they’ll survive the ones to come.
Happy married life Innocent and Uwana. May God bless your home.
Inspiration From Tony Elumelu & Co
So I was a guest at the ‘Nigeria Fast Growth 50’ event last Thursday, at the Eko Hotel, in Lagos.
The AllWorld Network and Tony Elumelu Foundation were recognizing 50 of the fastest growing Nigerian businesses from all sectors of the economy. I came across the event in BusinessDay just days earlier and requested an invitation. Quite glad I did!
At a time when most SMEs and other businesses in developed countries are growing at dismal rates, AllWell and TEF found 50 Nigerian businesses growing at 100% a year, jointly empolying over 6,500 people with a revenue range as high as $200m.
Listening to Elumelu, special guest Segun Aganga and Allworld’s Michael Porter speak, I was glad to see that in spite of the many challenges small businesses face here, many entrepreneurs are breaking new ground and winning big.
For each of those 50 businesses that were celebrated last week, I’m sure there are hundreds more doing wonders in their little corners, building their own roads, generating their own power supply, setting up their own security, and building world-class institutions in a system where nothing works (Apologies, Mr Aganga, I’m not buying that ‘New Nigeria’ concept. It’s either working or it’s not. And this system, in which I live, is not working yet, and we all know whose fault it is…)
The fact that organizations like TEF and AllWorld are watching, that more VC funds are becoming available and technology is leveling the playing field makes my heart beam with joy. Joy, because I know that it may take a long time, but Nigeria will eventually realize that the future of our economy is in the hands of the private sector. And what drives the private sector, the entire economy even? SMEs? No?!
One sad thing though: not a single entertainment company was on the list. Not one!
Announcing Nigerian Entertainment Conference
The third anniversary of NET is around the corner. And I’m proud we’re finally kicking off the much-needed Nigerian Entertainment Conference.
I conceived the idea while on a flight to London early last year. And, after endless sessions with my friends Kelvin Orifa, Abisoye Fagade, Tunde Adewale, Steve Babaeko, and the editorial board of this newspaper, under the leadership of Chris Ihidero, we’re now roaring to go.
So we’re unveiling plans for the inaugural edition this week, with details of speakers and panelists, and the many organizations partnering with us to make this happen.
The conversation has been on for years; conversations about the way forward for the art and business of entertainment in Nigeria. And, since NET was established three years ago, we’ve been at the forefront of efforts to get the conversation going. Now, it’s time to bring everyone together so we can begin an active process of re-organisation.
Counting on your support…
Thank you Achebe!
Finally, I was never able to say this in person, for I never had an opportunity to meet the late iconic author – but I’m eternally grateful to Chinua Achebe for the impact and influence his work had on my understanding of the English Language, of reading and writing, and of Igbo culture while growing up.
I will not restart the comparison with Soyinka here, but I have always considered Achebe to be the greatest African writer ever, and my personal favourite because of his simple, yet deep and profound style.
And I thank my mom (now late too) for exposing me to Achebe, Soyinka and co, right from primary school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...